Location: 185 Bleecker St, New York, NY 10012 (Greenwich Village)
FAT Scale (Flavor, Appeal, Taste): 7.5/10
- Flavor: 8/10
- Appeal: 7.5/10
- Taste: 7/10
HAPPY Scale (Hospitality, Atmosphere, Population, Price, Yearning for more): 7.7/10
- Hospitality: 8/10
- Atmosphere: 8.5/10
- Population: Hipsters, Fashionistas, Business Lunch Crowd, Post-Yoga Goers
- Price: $$
- Yearning for more: 6.5/10
DISCLAIMER: I am a meat-lover. Beef, chicken, pork, I love my meats. When I went to by CHLOE, please know that I tried to be as objective as possible, but of course, my subjectivity on the matter in some way skews my opinion and rating.
by CHLOE might have changed my mind about vegan – at least for the moment it has. Don’t get me wrong, I am not going to convert and become a vegan, but this new restaurant has changed my perception of how good vegan food can actually be.
Honestly, I originally went to this place for two reasons: 1) It was trending on Instagram and 2) My roommate is vegetarian, and because I love her, I took her for her birthday. I walked in expecting mediocrity, but I walked out full and happy. I could not believe how tasty it actually was. Everything was flavorful, accurately close to the real deal (although nothing to me can replace the taste of real meat), balanced, and straight up delicious.
The atmosphere was also really great. It was super light, open, and modern with a twinge of bohemian-inspired furniture and decor. The way it works is you order at the counter, and then you can either have your food to-go or grab a number and snag a table (if you can find one during the busy lunch hours). My friends and I got lucky enough to get a table, and once we sat down, we finally got to relax and enjoy. The food was brought to us, and the managers and servers were friendly and accommodating.
The Lowdown: I did not think anything was going to be that filling, so I ordered a little too much hoping I’d find something I would like. Well, it was all pretty delicious, and I’m just telling myself it was healthy.
- The Guac Burger ($9.95) – This was by far my favorite thing on the menu. I could tell there was no meat, but I didn’t care because the patty was flavorful on its own merit. The toppings are what made it for me though: corn salsa, onion, guac, tortilla strips, and chipotle aioli – these all melded and worked together to make one delectable and satisfying sandwich.
- Pesto Meatballs ($8.95) – The pesto meatballs mimicked Italian meatballs with marinara and basil pesto on a potato bun. This was also really appetizing and well-prepared, however, nothing to me replaces homemade Italian meatballs. Their efforts on this were not wasted, but not 100% as satisfying as I would have liked.
- Air Baked French Fries ($3.95) – I ordered the original and the sweet potato fries. Both really tasty and crispy. They were also served with a Chipotle Aioli and some Beet-flavored sauce. Both really good.
- Mac N’ Cheese ($4.95/$8.95) – For dairy-free and vegan, I have to say this mac n’ cheese wasn’t so bad. I loved the Shitake Mushroom “Bacon” because that crisp was exactly what you would expect out of good crispy bacon. However, the cheese sauce didn’t measure up to some of the best mac n’ cheese’s out there, but for those that are lactose intolerant or vegan, it was pretty appetizing.
- Avocado Pesto Pasta ($4.95/$8.95) – I liked this pasta much better. Creamy and luscious yet refreshing and light, this pasta totally satisfied. I could eat this one everyday.
- Dairy Free Ice Cream ($4.95/$9.95) – Lastly, we ordered some dairy free ice cream, and let me tell you, it was surprisingly AMAZING. We got the Kale Cookies + Cream and I could see the green, but I couldn’t taste the kale. Crazy, I know – but you have to trust me, it was delicious. We also got the Salted Vanilla Caramel – good, but I think you can skip it. My favorite was the Roasted Banana Bourbon that contained Woodford Reserve Craft Bourbon that I tasted in every bite, but was balanced out by the roasted bananas and vanilla bean caramel. This boozy ice cream is definitely something Chloe did right.
Overall, I really did have a great experience at by CHLOE. I was pleasantly surprised and satisfied. Will I choose to go here everyday? No – I love my meat and dairy and all the ingredients and foods that vegans don’t eat. However, I will go back because it was a good meal. by CHLOE may not be on my favorites list, but it is definitely one worth trying out.
Delicious #lunch at @bychefchloe 😋 Who knew I would ever admit to liking #Vegan food.. But honestly, if I didn't tell you, would you know? 🙆 Also, thank you @songofstyle for all the recommendations and Rob for your amazing hospitality! #befatbehappy #EEEEEATS #VSCOcam #bychefchloe #bychloe #greenwichvillage